Travel Permits for Restricted Areas

These permits have been implemented by the Indian Government in an effort to regulate movement in certain areas located near the international borders of India. appropriate documentation required for visiting such places.

You will find latest information here

Important For Diplomats
All permits to be applied to and issued from the Ministry of Home Affairs at New Delhi.

Andaman and Nicobar

RAP (Restricted Area Permit)

Municipal Area, Port Blair, Havelock Island – Stay Allowed

Long,Neil Island, Jolly Bouy, South and North Cinque, Red Skin, Mayabunder, Diglipur, Rangat, Mount Harriet, Madhuban – Only Day visit allowed


Nubra Sub Division PAP – (Protected Area Permit)

Leh-Khardung La-Khalsar-Tirit up to Panasik, Leh-Khardung La-Khalsar up to Hunder, Leh-Sabo-Digar La-Digar-Labab-Khungru Gampa-Tangar - Only for trekking conducted by approved tour operators and accompanied by State Police personnel

Noyona Sub Division –  PAP (Protected Area Permit)
Leh-Upshi-Chusathang-Mahe-Puga-Tso-Moari Lake/Kozok, Leh-Upshi-Debring-Puga-Tso-Moari Lake/Korzok, Leh-Karu-Chang La-Durbuk-Tangtse-Lukung-Spanksik, Pangong - Tourist groups are to travel on the identified tour circuits only. *Individual tourists not permitted, 7 days allowed.  Note: Groups should consist of 4 to 20 numbers and should be accompanied by a liaison officer.

Nubra,Pangong/Da-Hanu - ILP (Inner Line Permit)
Nubra, Pangong and Da-Hanu areas – Stay Allowed

Himachal Pradesh

PAP (Protected Area Permit)

Poo-Khab-Sumdho-Dhankar-Tabo-Gompa-Kaza ,Morang-Dabling - Trekking groups only. Individuals not permitted.


RAP (Restricted Area Permit)

Gangtok, Rumtek, Phodang, Pemayangtse Khecheperi and Tashiging – Stay Allowed

Sikkim West – Dzongri - Groups allowed for 15 days trekking and are to be accompanied by a liaison officer. Individual tourists not permitted. 

Sikkim East - Tsangu or Chhangu -  Individual tourists not permitted. Day visit only.

Sikkim North - Mangan, Tong, Singhik, Chungthang, Lachung and Yumthang - Groups allowed for 15 days trekking and are to be accompanied by a liaison officer. Individual tourists not permitted. 

Arunachal Pradesh

PAP (Protected Area Permit) / ILP (Inner Line Permit)

Itanagar, Ziro, Along, Pasighat, Miao, Namdapha and Sujesa (Puki) Bhalukpong - Individual tourists not permitted, 10 days allowed.


PAP (Protected Area Permit)

Loktak Lake, Imphal, Moirang INA Memorial, Keibul Deer Sanctuary and Waithe Lake.- Individual tourists not permitted, 6 days allowed.


PAP (Protected Area Permit) / ILP (Inner Line Permit)

Vairangte, Thingdawl and Aizawl -  Individual tourists not permitted, 10 days allowed.


Permit Types

Protected Area Permt(PAP)
This is an official travel document issued by the Government of India to allow inward travel of an Indian citizen into a protected/restricted area for a limited period.
Protected Area Permt (PAP)
This is required for non-Indian citizens to visit certain areas in India (mainly in the North-East).
Restricted Area Permit (RAP)
This is required for non-Indians to visit certain areas in India. As of 2009, RAPs are required for all visits to the Union Territory of Andaman and Nicobar Islands and certain parts of Sikkim.
Inner Line Permit (ILP)
Inner Line Permits are issued for certain restricted areas which all Indians and Foreigners have to obtain.